Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Why can't everyone be like that..?

Some weeks ago, Papa, Amma, My sister Anu and I went to Dubai Mall.
We went there to get a new shirt for my sister. But the luck was on my side! She did not get anything and I got a new top! WooHoo..!

Recently, Anu had gone for ice skating with our cousins. And she is loving it! So, she wanted to go for ice skating again and her wish was granted. It's not that I am scared to skate, but I don't like to do anything of that type without my friends. So, I thought I would go explore the book shop, 'Kinokuniya' and Virgin Mega-store. I went alone. You might think I am kind of stupid to not carry money with me. But I did not want to buy anything that day.
So, I was wandering through Virgin store and then I went to the book shop later. Inside, Kinokuniya, I saw a book of Taylor Swift! I got carried away by that book. I was flipping the last page of the book when i realized that I should be getting back to the Ice Rink. There was this window inside the book shop which faces another atrium of the mall and I saw two people; one playing the Grand Piano and the other playing the Violin. I wanted to listen to the music. That was my next destination.I wasn't so sure which way to go... But I wasn't lost. I found my way and I stood there listened to the music. Then again, the alarm in my head started ringing! I should be getting back to the Ice Rink. I turned around briskly, when I did not exactly hit her, but was nearly very close to hitting her. I took a step back and a 'Sorry' came out of my mouth in reflex. My eyes were fixed on the way I should go. That lady's voice is still inside my head. She rudely said "Watch, where you are going!". I, sincerely did not expect such a reply and I did not like it either. I didn't bother to turn around and walked super fast back to my family.

                                                          ***********************

It was dinner time! We were still in the mall. But that doesn't matter. The food court has ALL kinds of food. Papa is interested in trying out new dishes from different parts of the world. That day, it was German food. We bought our food and took our places. We were talking and eating. That's when a European family passed by; A lady pushing a pram, her husband carrying a cute little girl and two elderly people. This man carrying the little girl was passing by, by Amma's chair. Amma leaned to her chair and this man moved his hand. Both at the same time. So, by mistake, his hand touched Amma. Amma turned around to say 'Sorry' but before she could even open her mouth, he looked at her and said "Oh! I am so sorry.". Then he looked at Papa and said "I am really sorry!". He had such an innocent face. We said its all right. But he apologized one more time and only after that he left. After few minutes, they came back, maybe because they had taken the wrong way before... And this time,  he moved a bit far from Amma's chair and said "Safe distance", looked at  my dad and smiled. Then all of us laughed. They left and we were eating again.
I told Papa "Such a gentleman, right?".
Then I also told Papa, about that lady who I came across near the Musicians.

The world would have been such a beautiful and better place if everyone was like that European Gentleman. What is the point of being rude? What is the point of living with a frown in your face, when we can actually smile and live with the positive things in life? What do you lose when you say 'Sorry' to someone?
I am not saying that, that lady, should apologize to me. Why should she...? She didn't come and hit me. But at least a "It's all right" or a "Oops! I didn't see that coming" wouldn't harm or hurt anyone. It's just a suggestion.

Now,  think about yourself... are you like that lady or that gentleman...?
If suppose you are like that lady, would you take my suggestion... or continue to be 'yourself'?
The choice is yours... Now that you know how people you who have seen only once in your lifetime can judge you with those words that slip out of your mouth.... I hope you choose the correct option.

1 comment:

  1. Well Written. Last paragraphs are amazing. Good going. Papa

    ReplyDelete